So I’d like to start this week by confessing a little something…
I’ve got a pretty big man crush on Elon Musk.
Ok maybe “man crush” is a bit strong, but I most definitely admire the guy. I mean, just take a look at what he’s accomplished and continues to accomplish, not only for himself but for humanity overall.
If you’re not familiar with Elon Musk or his work, let me highlight just a FEW of his projects and accomplishments…
Tesla, Inc. – Not only is Tesla Inc. responsible for the development and manufacturing of electric cars and for development of energy storage technology, Elon Musk has made all his plans for his electric cars open source. His idea behind this is that by opening up these ideas and designs to the public, we stand a greater chance of improving and advancing them with the world’s greatest minds working on them together. That means better more sustainable transportation for us all.
SpaceEx – The goal here is to work towards making space travel less costly in the hopes of one day colonizing Mars. Sounds like something out of a science fiction novel doesn’t it, but Elon Musk and this company have made significant advances in this area and are responsible for the first privately funded spacecraft to the International Space Station. Crazy.
SolarCity – Last year this company, responsible for manufacturing and installation of solar energy merged with Tesla Inc. in an attempt to make solar energy more accessible and to further develop solar energy technology.
So enough gushing. Let me get to my point and WAKEUP Call for today…
Seeing just a few of the monumental, life-changing, impactful things he spends his days on, would it surprise you to know that you and Elon Musk actually aren’t that different?
“But Jay, Elon Musk is a multi-millionaire with investors and advisors and properties all over the world and probably a yacht somewhere with a sexy captain at the helm.”
I know that. That’s not my point.
Yes, he’s rich…
Yes, he’s influential…
Yes, he’s well traveled…
But let’s break it down…
What do each of his projects have in common?
They’re all centered around clean and sustainable energy.
Why does he do it?
In the hopes that he and his efforts will help in improving the environment for us all.
How does he accomplish all of this?
He busts his ass every single day and twice on Sundays and doesn’t let obstacles get in his way.
When does he do all of this?
In the same 24-hours that we’re all given.
So there you have it.
You and Elon Musk both have goals.
You and Elon Musk both have a WHY.
You and Elon Musk both have motivation and drive.
You and Elon Musk were given the same 24-hours a day to make it all happen.
Still want to argue with me that you’re not the same?
The biggest difference I see is that Elon Musk has cracked the code in finding bandwidth and using his time and energy efficiently.
So where do we find that extra bandwidth? How do we fit more into each and every day?
The good news is that I’ve cracked the code…at least for myself. I’ve broken it down and over time I’ve given myself certain action steps that I revisit periodically to keep myself on track.
So that’s today’s WAKEUP. I’d like to share those action steps with you so that we can all reach our full “Tesla” potential.
- Get clear on your WHY – This is your North Star and a must for maximum productivity. Think about it. If you don’t know why you’re getting up everyday, hustling, working hard, completing the annoying minutiae that you hate then you’ll lose your motivation altogether.
- Write down your end goal and read it…DAILY – We all need to be reminded of what we’re working for. We can get so bogged down with the finer details and the day to day bullshit that we lose sight of what we’re doing it all for. Write it down. In excruciating detail. Read it daily. No exceptions.
- Give yourself milestones – Break down your overall goals into smaller bitesize goals. By trying to take on too much we can get overwhelmed. But by giving ourselves manageable steps daily, weekly, monthly, we get to see just how far we’ve come. Focus on these tasks first and watch the compound effect working for you.
- Self-Inventory – This is a big one. You ALWAYS have to be checking in with yourself on a daily, weekly, monthly basis. Keep a journal and take note of what’s working, what’s not working. What is holding you back and how can you find and create solutions.
- Leverage the expertise of others – The simple fact is you are not alone and nobody is asking you to be. Furthermore, nobody expects you to be. You’ve surround yourself with all the best people for a reason.
So that’s it. Seems simple enough right? If you don’t already have a journal, get one. Put pen to paper and use these action steps as a sortof “bandwidth expanding” exercise. Once you’re done you’ll have this amazing tangible tool to revisit and use any time you feel you might be losing your way.
In the meantime, stay hungry and know that you don’t have to be the next Elon Musk to have an Elon Musk impact on this world. Do it in your own unique way.